Friday, March 14, 2008

No Time

Wedding rehearsal: 5:30
Our location: Just 1 mile from church

It's 5:03, and Kyle is napping on the bed. I rouse him, telling him that it's 5:03. He says OK and that he's just going to sleep for 3 more minutes. I'm not quite sure how he's going to wake up in exactly 3 more minutes, but I don't feel like dealing with it and don't plan on playing the role of mother until I absolutely have to. Fast-forward to 5:15, when I wake him again. "Kyle, it's 5:15!!!" He looks startled, perplexed. Now I'M perplexed because I don't know how he can justify perplexity at this point. "Oh. ... Oh!!! ... Oh boy. ... I must have fallen asleep."

"I MUST have fallen asleep"? Tell me, someone, how to muster up empathy?

2 comments:

Jen said...

Lonnie proclaims a similar unjustified innocence at least once a day.

His bigger issue is his selective hearing and his ability to tune out anything remotely important that I tell him. Then later? Later he's explaining it's not his fault he didn't do x b/c I never told him anything about doing x.

Psssh. Empathy is not something that shows up very often at my house.

Jen said...

Sorry to apparently be your blog stalker....just curious who you know going through the match this week. I assume they're in my class?