Thursday, September 14, 2006

Spoil me, please

Growing up in Hartford, Ark., which for most of my days sat at population 721, led me to believe that rich people (by "rich" I mean millionaires) were out there, but that they were few and far between. Like, they lived in a little colony and gave birth to little Richies who all went to a boarding school together out on some island in the Pacific. They learned things like which fork to set on which side of the plate and how to walk with a book on top of their heads, so, no thanks, I'll keep on living at the foot of Sugarloaf Mountain. We were comfortably middle-class, and I thought that was sufficient and allowed me to be spoiled but not spoiled brat.

Then, through the making of various acquaintances at college and through the stepping into the real world without any money, I realized that rich people – or those who pretend to be rich and thus accumulate massive debt – are everywhere.

Now, I am not anti-money. I really wish that I had money. (And any bitterness I have toward money is really because I've been developing a disdain lately for the business world and those who function solely on greed.) Anyway, it all boils down to this:

According to Cost of Wedding.com, on average, couples in my city will spend $16,219.10 on their wedding. This does not include cost of honeymoon, engagement ring or wedding planner.

I don't want to spend that much on my wedding. I am incapable of doing so. So, in short, I am perturbed with people who spend that much on weddings, setting such a high standard for us middle-of-the-road folks.

My future father-in-law recently said: "At my wedding, we served punch and peppermints, and we're just as married as anyone else." I guess he has a point.

8 comments:

Mom Unscripted said...

I understand what you mean. I just couldn't imagine spending money on ONE DAY. I mean its not even a whole day its a few hours. My wedding including the dress, rings and honeymoon was at the MOST $1000 and it was perfect. Maybe someday I'll get around to posting some pictures. We just didn't care about all the fluff we just wanted to be married.

Elise said...

Yeah, well at least the average wasn't $29,414.30, like it is in Tyler.

Holy freaking crap. I never knew, but our wedding was SO sub-par!

Hannah Hall said...

Your future father-in-law sounds very wise.
A friend of mine got an invition to a wedding to be held here in po-dunky Northwest Arkansas. If our calculations were correct (and I think they are) this bride spent at least $5000 on POSTAGE on her invites alone. Purchasing the obnoxiously fancy and pretentious invitations probably cost her parent's somewhere around $60,000.
If that doesn't make you want to vomit, I don't know what does.

Anonymous said...

Well Hannah^, I do believe we got a wedding invite to the same wedding and I also was amazed at the amount of money spent...even if I had the money, I wouldn't want to use it in that way.

Colin and I are coming nowhere near the norm for Fort Smith (28,039.80 if you were wondering) but I think everything will be wonderful. The expensive extras are nice if you have the money to spend but they are only a bonus. I think being surounded by people I love is what I'll remember, not how many flowers we had at the church.

Nathan said...

I think it is ridiculous too...

That you wouldn't want to spend as MUCH money as possible on a wedding. And for that matter, as much money as possible every day of your life. Listen Amy, you are getting married, and your wedding day is the perfect chance to let Karl know that you are in charge. If you don't stretch him to the limit on this sucker, how are you going to justify those day-spa tabs, and weekend shopping frenzies with the girlfriends. When he sees that you racked up 10 g's of his hard earned money on shoes, and then asks why, just say, "Hey Karl, you knew what this was. Remember our ridiculously decadent wedding?"

You are all wrong.

Anonymous said...

Oh Karl. He's really in for it, isn't he?

"You knew what this was". As soon as you have to say that, well, you're really in for some loooong nights.

Anonymous said...

Aaaahhhh!

New post!

Anonymous said...

fyi, i work on monday, tuesday and wednesday :). also.. it's BEEN A WHILE since you've posted. thought i'd just throw that out there.