Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What's "easy"?

Kyle and I were dating for maybe two weeks when I met his family. And by "family," I mean family. Family, as in: immediate family + extended family + friends who are like family. It was Thanksgiving. I'm not an outgoing person, and all of the aforementioned people are outgoing. Needless to say, I stayed in my comfortable shell and observed, and then doubted my personality.

Excuse me, God, can I trade this in for something more ... ESTP?

Anyway, when I went to my room one night, my self-esteem boost was Psalm 139. Reading about my fearfully made self reminded me that listeners and introverts are necessary to maintain some kind of order in this world. I felt content, peaceful and, well, loved.

The problem with maintaining this sense of contentment is that it requires me to sloooow down. Take a breather. Spend some time with my brain; figure out what's going on in there. This is when I feel closer to God, like he's giving me a hug. Some people feel refreshed staring at, like, mountains. Not the case for me. I learn more about my creator when I decide to face this me that he created.

Like I said, the problem with this routine is the slowing-down part. Taking a breather. Not cleaning or checking my e-mail compulsively or clipping bridal hairstyles out of Martha Stewart Weddings.

And, despite the fact that running 3 or 4 miles no longer makes me want to cut off my big toes, running is difficult because it forces me to slow down. Slowing down in the sense that I have to clear my mind, stare at nothing but a road or 5-year-olds playing soccer, and put up with myself. I get impatient.

Regardless, I ran this evening.

Just let me enjoy running, pleeeaaasse.

Finally, I just ran. And thought. I enjoyed being, and it was good.

1 comment:

Elise said...

I have often wished for a different personality. I've watched so many outgoing, center of attention, at ease in all social situations type people, and I never understand why I can't just be like that. Wouldn't it be so much easier? It always seems like it would be.

But it wasn't meant to be. You are absolutely right about being fearfully and wonderfully made. I don't know why that's so hard to remember.