Wednesday, August 30, 2006

'Refinement, please' or 'My Name's Matte'

My URL is quite clever, I thought. I told someone I thought it was a hoot. I thought, "Oh, tadpolish! I'm one-fourth Polish, and I'm still a free-swimming youngster with a lot of growth left in me." And I thought about all the areas in which I DO need growth -- like spiritually, emotionally, relationally, mentally -- and how being tadpole-ish is a declaration of humility and whimsy. Plus, when I was a little girl, I loved catching tadpoles, hoping they'd grow into big frogs.

(Sad moment: I had about as much luck with that as when I'd put fireflies into a jar to make a lantern or when I "saved" the baby Mr. T. turtle a few months ago.)

Then, last night, I looked at the genius URL again and saw this: tad polish. Note the lowercase "polish." It's a "polish," like "pawlish," like the stuff you use to make your shoes sparkle. I use polish to make my toes the color of My Chihuahua Bites by OPI. Some people polish their teeth. Others might say that my manners need polished, and as a copy editor I polish newspaper articles. That polish is NOT what I intended.

On the bright side, where I make lemonade out of lemons and stew out of leftovers: Maybe I do need to be a bit polished myself, and maybe this name isn't so bad after all. Maybe we all need to be a little more polished, a little more refined. So I guess I can go with "tad polish," which is clever in its construction since, if I am trying to say that I need to be a tad polished, then the name itself needs to be a bit polished since "tad polish" should really be "tad polished." There, that makes perfect sense.

I might need to be sophisticated, but I refuse to be glossy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also, I am thoroughly impressed with "tadpolish" from every angle.